Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bump...part two

At Xmas time my brother and I received a spectacular gift from my sportsmen uncle in Connecticut. A bow and arrow set, a real one-no rubber suction cups. I mean real arrows that you could hunt big game with and a target. The problem was that it was winter with snow on the ground and we were told that we would have to wait until spring to use it outside. But what eight and ten year old kids could ever wait months to try out such a neat present? The first opportunity was a Saturday morning when the house was empty. Our kitchen was in the basement so we leaned the the straw filled target against the kitchen cabinets and fired away and proceeded to hit everything but the target. Arrow holes were everywhere and when my mother came home she was furious. We, of course felt guilty-lower than whale effluent and it was only when I was an adult looking back did it dawn on me-who in their right minds would send children a deadly weapon and why did my mother allow me and my brother to touch this present? I never figured that one out. That night we went to the seance-the room was dark and I was seated by the window so I could see the slivers of light come and go. Very quickly the deep familiar voice of Shobona(sp.?) and his personality came through Edith"s vocal cords and he was ;laughing calling me and my brother poor hunters, bad marksmen. Apparently we were the laughing stock of the supernatural world. He and the other Indians had been watching us make fools of ourselves earlier in the day. The seance broke up and afterward we ate supper together with everyone contributing a couple of dollars for food. She did not charge for the seance. The meal was a mixture of hamburger, baked beans. onions and ketchup with bread and butter. This is still a favorite meal of mine to this day. Years later my mother was working on a patient trying to convince this person to seek medical treatment for what my mother suspected was a dangerous tumor. Dr. Mary was losing the battle when the phone rang. She said angrily, "I know! I know! but she won't listen to me! Here you tell her." The lady turned white as a proverbial ghost as Edith a thousand miles away told the lady that she had to act immediately-she did and saved her life. My mother had become a Baha'i in Iowa and dutifully shied away from the supernatural in the future as this practice was frowned upon, but she never tired of telling this story. Me, I miss sitting by the window watching the slivers of light come and go.

1 comment:

  1. Great story Ronnie! I love that you're doing this blog--what a great way to pass these wonderful stories on.

    ReplyDelete