Thursday, February 4, 2010

Long day's journey only to find Elmer Fudd

It was a long day topped off by a long staff meeting. I stopped at the young marrieds who were giving Samaya a bath. Maybe vanity on my part although each year that passes there are less reasons for vanity. She peered over the edge of the bath tub and her gaze made several turns before landing at my eyes. We watched Wheel of Fortune,a family custom that I much enjoy even though it does kill as many brain cells as a quart of whiskey. I played with the baby who crawled toward me after she made the rounds visiting. She makes these disparaging raspberry sounds while spraying you with baby mist when she sits on my knee. All-in-all a delightful drink from the fountain- of- one- more day- on- the- planet. Later when all was quiet at home I thought of my late brother and his uncanny ability to impersonate Elmer Fudd. He never amounted to much in the cold ledger of accomplishments-never going to be a statue in the park unless it is of a horse he bet on, but he did a great Elmer Fudd. He would tickle his niece and pretend to be Elmer Fudd, Rib Counter and she would laugh and laugh.
Perhaps those no longer needed mythical heroes like the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Rib Counter get together every so often and talk about the times they were the center of the universe when the meandering gaze of a child landed at their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment