Friday, February 12, 2010

OOPS!

I forgot momentarily what a coward I am. There are lots of things that you can forget but cowardice should always remembered. My friend Janet Ruhe-Shoen pointed out to me that Jala ad-Din Rumi was Persian not Arabic. He was not from Saudi Arabia! And therefore a situation comedy/reality show called "At Home With the Rumis" for reasons of nationality and cowardice because I don't want to be hunted down like a dog by the Saudis or the Iranians, should not be based in the Middle East. The comedy show should be based in Maine-a very tolerant state that I love. No Mainer is going to hunt anyone down like a dog-unless it is a steamer dog at the Eliot Meat Market. I like mine with mustard and chopped onions. The premise is simple. Jalal ad-Din Rumi and his wife Henrietta live in modern day Maine. How would a man now called America's favorite poet be accepted. What happens' when the go to a traditional Maine bean supper and he gets gas?Or he goes to a PTA meeting? I see him owning an old fashioned general store with a pot bellied stove where he is surrounded by back woods philosophers. Would he be accepted? be able to make a living? will Henrietta learn to whirl? I see Henrietta as a good hearted but lonely woman who meets JR over the internet. He moves here from Kazekastan or wherever Janet says he was from. They get married and have three kids. Lots of work to do on this one. The important thing is that people would know all his brilliant sayings and I think he would love the fact that it would be such an unconventional way for people to know about him. "Conventional opinion is the ruin of our souls."

No comments:

Post a Comment